Sunday, November 13, 2016

Looks like I can't put it off anymore.....

Trailing arms are going to have to be rebuilt...Check out the movement in the bearings....The trailing arm bushings are even worse.


This will be a nice winter project...I got this far with the tear down today.


More pics....





I didn't let it whoop me...Not this side anyway...It was a PITA to say the least.




I had 15 thousands play and it needs to be .001-.008, I got to order parts and tools Monday....Time to work on getting everything cleaned up and painted.

Almost no blood soo far....


















Got some more cleaning and painting done....











Got a few more parts finished today....
More finished and started on the half shaft....






Got the halfshaft painted and started on the shock but it got too cold by days end, so I will have to finish it tomorrow. I also worked on the bearing assembly...Checking the play is gonna be tricky.





Got the bushings installed and the shock painted....Both turned out well. I'm really happy with the color of the shock paint.





Started to put the passenger side trailing arm back together today....All was going good till I realised I was missing the parking brake shoe guide plate on that side....I didn't lose it....It wasn't there when I took everything apart.....It's still on the drivers side TA,,,,Looks like I got more parts to order for the RH side, plus whatever I need for the LH side after I get it off.....Slow but steady.


Just incase anyone wants to know the correct sawzall blade to get to cut thru these god forsaken bolts and misc. other hardware that holds the trailing arms to the frame pockets....See below....I started with a Milwaukee diamond blade and it worked OK on the passanger side but I broke it when I started on the drivers side....So off the the local Ace Hardware I went....I decided to see if the high end metal cutting blades would work better....Plus I got (5) for $17 bucks.....NOT.....Went thru (2) and didn
t cut a 1/16"....So off to Home Depot I go and picked up one of these.....It worked great....Made (3) cuts and I think it could a few more.







Got the passenger side finished.....Ordered parts to rebuild the drivers side today.....$257...It was in much worse shape than the passenger side...Needed a spindle, nut and both inner dust shields that added a good $120....Oh well atleast it will be right.

Here is the finished passenger side....Trailing arm.

Here is the loctite I used on the half shaft flange....



Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment